Skip to content
- The airfield at the town forms annually from November – February the centre of attraction for gliders across the world.
- Each year in February the Gariep 500 Rubber Duck Race is a popular item for speed boat owners and enthusiasts.
- The Free State Yacht Club has its base at Gariep Dam town, presenting regatta’s every month.
- The SA Hunter’s Society has since 2004 presented their annual target shooting competition at Gariep Dam town.
- The Round-the-lake cycling competition is one of the cycling race tours of national significance.
- Angling at the dam is a highly popular sport with various competitions.
- The latest addition is the prestigious Eric van Enter Cycling Competition, sanctioned by Cycling South Africa.
- Thus Gariep Dam or Lake !Gariep is a sleeping tourism giant waiting to be properly awakened!